Tis the season of giving!! Are you excited?! I know I am! This is one of my favorite times of the year. It’s a time to visit with family and friends, reflect on past events of the current year, and shop ‘til you drop. Not to mention all of the holiday parties, dinner dates that you can’t avoid, and indulging in your food of choice because hey, it’s the holidays and I can get back on track after the New Year. Sound about right? And with all of that joy and happiness going on, and I say that a little sarcastically, it can become quite stressful. Now I know it can be difficult to find time for yourself during this time of year but it’s a must. You have to decompress and relieve some stress. It’s for your benefit and your family and friends good. So, I know you must be thinking, “How in the world can I relieve stress at a time like this?”. Well, I’m going to give you 5 ways to relieve stress during the holiday season and keep you on track for the New Year.
1. Journal. This is one of my favorite ways to relieve stress because you can just let it all out and leave it on the paper. It’s a healthy way of saying how you feel without having someone interject their feelings or tell you that you shouldn’t feel a certain way. You have a right to feel what you feel; however, if it’s a negative feeling, I suggest you address it and then let it go. No need in holding onto the negative. So, let it rip and put your mind at ease. Choose a journal that makes you want to write in it and use your favorite pen. This will make it easier for the feelings to flow out freely.
2. Prayer Walk. I love to walk and talk to God. It helps to clear my mind and put my focus back on Him. And it’s a chance to be out in nature and take in the beauty of my environment. Now I know it may be extremely cold outside for some of you so may I suggest prayer and meditation in the comfort of your home? I usually pray and meditate before bed to release the trials and triumphs of the day to the Lord. I hope this will become one of your favorites too.
3. At Home Spa Day. Need to relieve some tension? How about a nice facial, bath, body scrub, and finish off with some body oil and a cup of tea? Sounds good right? I have my Spa Day every Sunday to prepare my body and my mind for the week ahead. Its also a nice way to relieve stress and let the stress float away with the bubbles. Add some candles and be sure to treat yourself with the good products. Your mind, body, and spirit can use this I’m sure. Balling on a budget? Marshall’s and Home Goods have an abundance of Spa items at great prices. And this time of year is the best time to pick up these items in a bundle too.
4. Read. When was the last time you got lost in a good book? Or read your bible? Nothing feels better than a good book. Don’t feel like reading? Audiobooks are awesome too. Now is a great time to make time for that book you said you were going to read 8 months ago. It also helps to show you that we all have stress and issues from time to time and will hopefully help you to reflect on the positive things in your life.
5. Get Creative. I love adult coloring books. You will be amazed at how much fun it is and what a stress reliever it is. Coloring not your thing? You can try drawing, painting, crocheting, knitting, or even rearranging your space in your home. Don’t be afraid to get creative and create something beautiful. Then, the next time you’re feeling stressed, you’ll have something to reflect on.
I hope that you will try one, if not all of these things. Let me know in the comments how they have worked for you. And have an awesome holiday on purpose!